TITLE: Community Organizer
SUPERVISED BY: Campaign and Policy Manager
SUPERVISES: Some supervisory responsibility over interns
ORGANIZATIONAL SUMMARY: Inquilinos Unidos is dedicated to empowering low-income tenants through community organizing, education and advocacy to fight for safe, decent and affordable housing in Los Angeles.
Position Description: IU is seeking a Tenant Organizer to work with our Healthy Homes Project, which combines outreach, education and tenant organizing to address housing-related health hazards that threaten vulnerable, low-income tenants.
Our Tenant Organizer will visit substandard buildings, educate tenants on the health effects of slum conditions and about their rights and responsibilities as renters, assist with filling and monitoring complaints to government agencies, and help the campaigns manager mobilize tenants around important housing issues. She/he will also help resolve landlord-tenant issues such as habitability concerns, lack of services or repairs, overcharges, and harassment by co-hosting weekly tenants’ rights clinics and walk ins meetings.
- Commitment to IU’s mission and values.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of clients in a kind, appropriate manner.
- Ability to quickly build trust and rapport with low-income tenants.
- Ability to assume leadership quickly and work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to use good judgment, multitask and meet deadlines.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, or ability to move throughout the city using public transportation, and willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Ideal candidate will have experience working with low-income families, including at least two years’ experience as an organizer, tenant rights advocate, or paralegal.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in Spanish and/or Korean is required.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
How to apply:
To apply, please email your cover letter, resume, and three references to Faviola Pablo, Campaigns and Policy Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, no telephone calls.
Workplace is a smoke-and drug-free environment
SALARY/HOURLY, EXEMPT OR NONEXEMPT: Salaried, Hourly, Full-time position
Benefits: Medical insurance (PPO/HMO), dental, vision and life insurance.
Minimum Education Required: College Degree
IU is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status or medical condition.