CAMPAIGN AND POLICY MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Inquilinos Unidos is dedicated to empowering low-income tenants through community organizing, education and advocacy to fight for safe, decent and affordable housing in Los Angeles. Inquilinos Unidos’ vision is a tenant-led movement that creates stable, strong, safe, green and healthy communities and neighborhoods that are desirable, vibrant places to live, and ensure economic prosperity and equitable political representation for all residents.
Inquilinos Unidos is expanding its work to further engage the community beyond our core tenant protection services to include a longer term, anti-displacement campaign to mitigate the impacts from upcoming redevelopment plans in the MacArthur Park area, with targeted efforts around the community plan update process for the Westlake/Pico-Union District, which is scheduled to begin in late 2017.
CAMPAIGN AND POLICY MANAGER POSITION SUMMARY:
We are seeking a community and coalition organizer with campaign and policy experience on affordable and healthy housing issues. The Campaign and Policy Manager will develop campaign strategy, coordinate campaign activity among our ally organizations, conduct popular education sessions, lead public actions to grow public awareness of our campaign, and build pressure among policy makers to adopt affordable housing policies that benefit our community.
The Campaign and Policy Manager is responsible for leading a field campaign between tenant leaders and allies to mitigate the impacts of redevelopment projects in the area among local residents and businesses. This position calls for a person with bold ideas, tactical creativity, and a commitment to developing long-term strategies. We are looking for a strong team player, who can also work independently. The ideal candidate will have an ability to identify strategic opportunities as well as have a deep commitment to movement-building.
- Coalition Building – Identify and recruit new tenant leaders who are interested in protecting affordable housing units in the area. Maintain communication with coalition partners and engage them in digital, legislative, regulatory and street actions to protect and/increase affordable housing in the area.
- Political Education & Leadership Development– Conduct workshops and presentations that educate and engage tenant leaders and partners our member organizations about the origins of our fiscal crises and prepare members to lead elements of the People’s Agenda campaign.
- Tenant Assistance – Help tenants who call or visit our office for assistance on housing-related issues.
- Communications – Work with the Executive Director to create and amplify a public narrative about the need to increase affordable housing.
- Direct Action – Develop and execute a variety of member-led actions that move our campaign objectives forward.
- Legislative – Implement grassroots lobbying strategies to educate legislators about our affordable housing platform and to move them to support our policy solutions.
Participate in coalitions and other organization-wide meetings and activities. Additional roles and responsibilities as assigned.
- Technical and Performance Skills
– At least 3 years full-time policy, community or constituency organizing experience
– Coalition building and coordination skills
– Knowledge of the McArthur Park area and familiarity with issues impacting the community
– Coalition building and coordination skills
– Proven knowledge of political environment in Los Angeles City Council
– Strong organizational, leadership, and problem-solving skills
– Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Word
– Ability to motivate and inspire others
– An energetic commitment to social justice and working within an anti-oppression framework
– Excellent verbal communication and writing skills
- Education/ Language
– Minimum Education Required: College Degree
– Spanish language skills are necessary
- Physical and Mental Demands
– While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 40 pounds. The employee is required to visit apartment buildings for meetings with tenants; attend public hearings at LA City Hall and meetings with staff members at government agencies and ally organizations offices.
– Willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, and occasional travel to Sacramento, CA
– Excellent team player, able to meet deadlines and work independently, innovative, creative
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets, and fax machines
Workplace is a smoke-and drug-free environment
HOW TO APPLY:
Inquilinos Unidos is an equal-opportunity employer. People of color strongly encouraged to apply. For consideration, send a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com. Please add “Organizer” in the subject of your email. No calls, please. Position open until filled.
SALARY/HOURLY, EXEMPT OR NONEXEMPT: Salaried, Hourly, Full-time position. Benefits: Medical insurance (PPO/HMO), dental, vision and life insurance.